Investment soars 32% in Iberia in the first year after the pandemic


This result was estimated by Iberian Property Data©, whose database identified a sample of 421 real estate investment operations completed in Iberia throughout 2022, totalling €18.6 billion euros, representing an annual growth of 67% in the number of transactions (251 in 2021) and a 33% increase in the capital invested (€14 billion in 2021).

Therefore, and consolidating the recovery initiated last year, capital markets have surpassed the pre-pandemic performance, overtaking by 22% the previous record of €15.2 billion attained in 2019, a year when 288 investment operations were concluded.

Capital markets grew at a higher rate in Portugal

Reflecting the size of each market, unsurprisingly the largest share of capital (84%) was traded in Spain, with 350 operations amounting to a total of €15.5 billion, while Portugal attracted the remaining 16%, valued at a little over €3 billion euros. However, it is interesting to note that both countries maintained stable shares compared with 2021, although Portugal presented a higher growth in annual terms, surpassing by 39% the €2.2 billion registered the previous year. In the Spanish market, the growth was 32%, compared with €11.8 billion traded one year before.

Looking in greater detail, the Madrid region stands firm as the undisputed leader of Iberian investment, attracting 23% of the total amount traded, namely €4.3 billion euros, followed by Barcelona, with a 16% share and the equivalent of a little over €3 billion, and only afterwards Lisbon, with 7% and almost €1.3 billion. In addition, another €8.2 billion were traded in Other Regions of Spain, approximately 44% of the total, and €1.6 billion were traded in Other Regions of Portugal, representing 9%; aside from €172 million in transactions in the Porto region, with the second largest city in Portugal representing just 1% of the total amount.

Compared with the previous year, the Catalonia region, led by Barcelona, lost some ground, with this region’s share reducing eight percentage points (p.p.), resulting from a y-o-y decrease of 11% in the investment volume (€3.4 billion in 2021); and the same occurred in Porto, which displayed a decline of 2 p.p. from the 3% share held in 2021 (€370.2 million). In the case of Lisbon, although the capital allocated to the region grew 18% in annual terms, the region’s share of the Iberian market as a whole dropped 1 p.p. from the 8% share achieved the year before. In contrast, Madrid’s share increased 4 p.p., compared with 19% in the previous year. Other Regions Portugal saw their share climb from 5% to 9% during the period under analysis, resulting from a 116% growth compared to the €736.7 million invested in 2021, while the share of Other Regions Spain presented a slight decrease of 1 p.p. compared with the 42% share achieved the previous year.

Iberia 2022 regions.png

Iberian Property logoIberinmo logo
Iberian Property is the best platform for investment in Spain & Portugal. Created for those who seek reliable information about players and deals happening in Iberia. Through updated database, reports, market indicators and daily news, we report “Who’s Who” in Iberian Real Estate!. Iberian Property is also proud to organize the most important international real estate investors’ meeting in Iberia - Portugal Real Estate Summit!