Sonae invests in its headquarters complex in Porto

Sonae invests in its headquarters complex in Porto

The aim is to group several specialised retail operations in the Maia complex, which at present are scattered throughout the city, and will result in the relocation of about 600 workers to the new building being built in Sonae city. 

According to information in the Portuguese press, the construction of the new building will cost about 11 million euros and will be developed by means of the real estate fund Imosede, held by Sonae. Work should begin next summer, and are due to be completed at the beginning of 2019.

Currently about 2,500 people work in the Sonae Business Park in Maia, a number which will go up to 3,100 when the new building is ready.

Designed by the Barbosa & Guimarães studio, which includes the famous, prize-winning Vodafone building in Porto in its portfolio, the new service tower beside the Via Norte will cover an area of 6.500 m² and will have an area above ground of 6.933m², with four floors, to which can be added a further 9.405 m² corresponding to underground parking over five floors, for 363 vehicles.

The new building will also obey “the principles of sustainability, linked to environmental responsibility and efficient use of resources”, reports the Jornal de Negócios, quoting a source from Matosinhos Council.

At present, the Sonae Business Park occupies just 22 of the more than 32 hectares allocated, with 10 hectares remaining for the development of new projects. Of the built-on space, 60% is taken up by the company’s logistics platform, with the remaining 40% taken up by offices and a Sonae Industry factory. 

Iberian Property logoIberinmo logo
Iberian Property is the best platform for investment in Spain & Portugal. Created for those who seek reliable information about players and deals happening in Iberia. Through updated database, reports, market indicators and daily news, we report “Who’s Who” in Iberian Real Estate!. Iberian Property is also proud to organize the most important international real estate investors’ meeting in Iberia - Portugal Real Estate Summit!